BabyQuest 2005

Join Leah and me down our journey to parenthood: From thoughts about and plans to conceive, to worries and anxiety and doctor's visits.....We want to give a candid look at the process of God blessing us with a son.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Thursday Update

First of all, here's the update from Thursday: No change.

We really weren't sure what to expect from today's visit. This week had been kinda crazy, with a trip to the hospital, various updates from different folks (2 nurses at hospital, nurse practitioner at the office) ranging from 3 cm/50% effaced to 4 cm/70-80% effaced. I think Leah halfway expected (read: hoped) Dr. Bannister to say something like, "Good gosh, girl, you're so close, you might as well head on over the hospital right now. I hope you have your stuff with you because I'll see you in a couple of hours when I'm there to catch your son." Uhh.....no. Thanks for playing. We have a lovely parting gift for you.

The thing that's amazed me throughout all this is the subjectivity of the measurements. I know that there's not a magic baby "How much am I dialated?" tool, but how could on person say 3 and another say 4? I guess the difference in 3 cm and 4 cm is not that great (no matter what you're measuring), so I should cut them some slack. But hey, aren't they making gobs and gobs of money for spending like 12 years in school? After Dr. B checked Leah and stated that she was 3 cm and 50%, we inquired about the difference in the measurements of the nurse practitioner in that very office (4 cm, 70-80%) on Monday. Her explanation? "Oh, our practitioner doesn't know how to call a cervix." Oh....well alrighty then. We'll be sure to keep that in mind.

With her balloon somewhat deflated, we left the office, with the realization that Nicholas had 3 more days to come on his own, or we would force him out of his warm amniotic bath on Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home