BabyQuest 2005

Join Leah and me down our journey to parenthood: From thoughts about and plans to conceive, to worries and anxiety and doctor's visits.....We want to give a candid look at the process of God blessing us with a son.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Popular Opinion

OK, I need some input here. I am just kinda curious as to what everyone's opinion might be on the following subject.

Back in September, during our final session of the 4-week Preparation for Childbirth class, our instructor had us each write a note to our child. Leah wrote hers and sealed it in an envelope. I did the same. Neither one of us saw what the other one wrote. But I can assure you that they were both very, very heartfelt.

So now we have two sealed messages, and really haven't come to a conclusion on when to open them. Should we save them until Nicholas can appreciate them? Each of us is dying to know what the other wrote, yet we don't want to use "Well, the curiosity got the best of us" as our only excuse. What do you think? Should we open them at the hospital, with a room full of family and friends, and read them to our sleeping angel? Or maybe wait until the 3 of us are wrapped in silence and calm at the house, and experience it that way? I'm just thinking out loud, here. There was a ton of emotion that went onto the paper that night--I'm just not sure how long we wanna keep it bottled up. Heck, I could even post them here after the seal is broken--would it be uncomfortable to peer through such a private emotional window?

Interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions!!!

5 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger steven.russell said...

Just my two cents here...

That is a very special and intimate moment that I think should be shared by just the three of you. If you want to share with the rest of us after the fact...I think that is fine. But I would wait until the three of you are home. Perhaps the first night together in the house as a family. You read Leah's out loud to Nicholas and she reads your's.

But hey...you do what you felt led to do.

I can't wait to see the little guy!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I think you should read them out loud at his high school graduation. On stage.

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAIT UNTIL NICHOLAS CAN READ THEM, SAY ABOUT 10

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric! Funny you should ask that! I don't know if Gmama did it for Leah or Michael, but about 2 years ago, she gave me a spiral notebook. Yep....that notebook was her diary to me from when I was a baby and she kept me during the day. Everything from the foods I liked and disliked to the day my parents divorced and she wrote about her heartbreak and she just couldn't do it anymore. I never had any idea that she had such a notebook. But I was grown, and was able to read the thoughts of/to me from her from my infancy. It was really cool. I know it's a long way off....but try to keep them sealed for him til he's at least 13. Who knows, when he's about that age, there might be something huge happening in his life and it will touch him in ways you haven't even begun to think about. That's my advice. See u Thanksgiving.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Scott Rushing said...

How about when he brings over his very first date? Read them out loud while showing the girl his baby pictures, especially the ones where he's taking his first bath and stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home